Why Detroit?
As I read the title, I did assume that the play would set in
Detroit. The story itself could have been set anywhere in the suburbs of an
American City. I think the playwright chose Detroit because it is a well-known
city. Also Detroit is known now as a downgraded city full of old suburban
towns. Another reason is that Detroit is a mystery to most people. Most people
know what is there but they do not fully know. The idea that the play could be named any city
is true but Detroit is the easiest place to pick and it is overall fits the
description. On the other play, the playwright does note that is doesn't have
to be in Detroit. Most of the physical land reference, such as highways and
strip clubs in the play, are not even in the real Detroit area. For example, as
I google the strip club "Temptation", this is not even one in
Detroit. There is one in California and Texas. Also since it is a modern play,
it is really can be put into any setting.
Overall I believe Detroit was picked because it is well known for its
image and it is common place. In conclusion, I believe the play can be set in
any suburban American City.
No comments:
Post a Comment